Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What happened one year ago today

It was Tuesday, and we were sitting in American Lit class, my best friend and me. Occupying our usual seats in adjacent desks on the left side of the large classroom, near the front. Usually she made it to the classroom before I did, was sitting there waiting; and we would chat before class.

At about 9:29 am, Professor Ann Winters walked into the room, holding some highly-anticipated documents: our graded papers. Our assignment had been to write papers on the role of family in one of the short stories we had read early in the semester. Lana and I had each decided, independently, to write about "The Revolt of 'Mother'" by Mary E. Wilkins Freeman. We had gathered sources, written, rewritten, had writing conferences with Ms. Winters, and finally turned in our final copies to her. Now anxiously we awaited the verdict, the grade, the pronouncement of doom.

The good professor began to walk around the room, distributing graded papers to various students. She handed Lana's paper to her; my best friend flipped through it till she could see the grade, and immediately burst into tears. Oh no.

Her paper had received a grade of 69. Not because of the quality of the writing, but because of a technicality on sources. Ms. Winters had told us earlier in the semester that in order to make a C or higher on the paper, we had to exactly follow the rules on how many sources were in our paper.

Lana had been unsure of whether her secondary sources qualified to meet the rules. But since she had met with Mrs. Winters to look at the paper, and Mrs. Winters hadn't said anything about the sources, Lana assumed they were fine.

She was wrong. And she didn't make a C or higher on the paper. And now she was crying, and asking Mrs. Winters why she had received this grade.

The professor didn't budge. She told Lana that the guidelines for sources had been clearly laid out on our assignment sheet. However, she said, she was willing to let Lana fix the sources and turn in the paper again for a new grade; Lana's final grade for the paper would then be a composite of the old grade and the new.

It was a merciful deal, on the whole, but Lana's poor grade had wounded her. She wept off and on throughout the entire class. Once or twice she looked over at me, but I had no words for her. Even with Ms. Winters' willingness to regrade the paper, Lana's grade wouldn't be as high as it should have been.

The class discussion covered a couple of poems by Robert Frost: "Design" and "Out, Out --". My notes only show the rhyme scheme of the poems, though I'm certain we discussed them much more deeply. I tried to pay attention, but I was mostly focusing on my friend and how bad I felt for her.

At the end of class, we gathered our backpacks and walked out of the Holt building, heading for our next class in the Gardner building. Beginning to cry again, Lana talked about how she felt betrayed by Mrs. Winters. I wanted to say something, anything, to comfort her, to make her feel better. All I could do was listen, and sympathize.

Now we were sitting in the Gardner lecture hall, with about ten minutes till the American Revolution class started. Lana was still trying to control her tears. I glanced over at her, then looked away again.

And at that moment I fell in love with my best friend. Emotions I had never felt before began to sweep over me. I looked at her and knew that now, in this moment, I loved her as I had never loved her before, as I would never love anyone else. While she cried over her grade, while I sat in silence, I knew that I had irrevocably crossed a line.

From the very first summer I met Lana (2003), I had prayed about her as a prospect for marriage. I was careful as I prayed, never assuming what was God's will, pleading with Him to show me one way or the other and to allow me to keep my heart undefiled. He didn't show me, not for a long, long time. I became Lana's friend, and then her close friend, and then her best friend, and all the while I grew increasingly more attracted to her. But my heart was still mine; I had not given any part of it to her.

Now it was all hers. And for the first time I allowed myself to feel the feelings that I had shunned for so long. I knew that God had at last revealed His answer to me, had shown me that this crying young woman beside me was to be my bride. And I loved her.

In class that day, Dr. Robert Willoughby lectured on the American-British standoff at Boston in 1775, after the Battle of Bunker Hill. His lecture, as always, was engrossing and enlightening; I took diligent, copious notes, but my mind was rather elsewhere.

And Lana Marie had no idea, would have no idea for nearly six months. We grew even closer as friends, and spent a lot more time in class together, and worked on a movie together, and prayed for each other. She thought that perhaps someday I would ask to court her. Someday, some far-off time in the future. Maybe.

And she didn't know, not till a candle-lit evening in August, that I was madly in love with her, a passion both utterly secret and wholly pure.

It was February 27, 2007. One year ago today.

36 comments:

Unknown said...

To this day, I do not understand precisely how I misunderstood the assignment so badly. There had been no doubt in my mind that I'd done it correctly! Not in yours either, remember how we'd workshopped it?
Mrs. Winters felt so bad about it, too...
The grade, I mean, not the you falling in love. She likes that part of the story.
So do I.

Amazing how God took a day that was miserable and that I wanted to forget into a day that is so beautiful to me....
I remembered how I just wanted to be alone to cry, I felt so awkward with you there, b/c you were so sympathetic; you looked like you wished you do something to help, and you couldn't do anything but be quiet and let me cry, and check on me later to see if I was okay.

Darling, you were such a wonderful friend. You ARE such a wonderful friend. And I love you so much.

Anonymous said...

Once again: awww.... doesn't seem to be much else to say, but that I hope someday I have a falling-in-love story as sweet and romantic and pure as you.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, me too. But... I hope that bad grades don't have anything to do with mine as of right now:P I would cry the whole time too:(

Brandon's Girl said...

You guys need to write a book, that would be awesome and it would make a ton of people cry! I'm happy for you two, very happy!
~Nicole

Anonymous said...

all of you are sick.

Brandon's Girl said...

Why Jazzy?!!! I think it's sweet, even if it is sappy! Don't you want to feel like that someday? :o)
Love you anyway girly.
~Nicole

the momma said...

just beautiful, Luke!

Pyrolord said...

How's it goin' "buddybuddy"? ;P

Anonymous said...

Colie, you are sickest of all.
And I, Jazlynn Saphira Myers, will never nauseate my friends so. And for the record, I prefer my lunch to stay in my stomach.
-jaz

Unknown said...

Jazzy, Jazzy, Jazzy....
Someday, I hope, for your own sake, that you have to eat your words.
Cuz, otherwise, life would be boring.
And anyway, when you start to "nauseate your friends" I'll laugh *with you*
cuz you'll be laughin'
;^P

Anonymous said...

Jazzy, they aren't *nauseating* me. And if you like your lunch to stay in your stomach DON'T READ IT!!! :P And maybe you should keep your opinion to yourself. :P Sorry Jazy, had to say it....
There ya go Lana, everything you wanted to say but wouldn't :P But Jaz and I are brutally honest with each other, right Jazzy?

Brandon's Girl said...

Well, I'm depressed now. You know how depression hurts? Like a highly acidic beverage poured on a gashing open wound. *sigh* I still love you Jazzy, even after you said those hurtful words.
~The depressed Nicole

Lady of somethin' er 'nother... said...

Jazzy will learn. But, given her personality, she will most likely not express her love in such a verbose manner. Hers will be mixed with more jokes so that one might have to discern what she actually thinks. But then later, as her found love grows deeper, forget the mumbo jumbo she will just say it strait. (how do you spell that word? for some insane reason I have lost all ability to spell the most simple of words. Too many endings in the English language that make the same sound.) Jazlynn Saphira, one day you will be taken hold of by the bonds of love and be broken of this accursed rebellion towards sap.

Just so ya'll know that was done in a melodramatic way on purpose.;l

Anonymous said...

Well, yeah I guess she will. Jazz, just because you said that you will be totally mushy!!!!! My mom says that people always say they won't do things when they're older and then they do it. I always say I won't lick my finger to wipe my kids' face with it and I'm pretty sure it's not gonna happen. It's disgusting! I can't pet the dog without washing my hands! So somebody remind me when I have kids:P

Anonymous said...

NONONONONO! No word eating! And being all mushy just isn't me! I know there are some things I say I won't do and will, but this is not one of them! I will say I love my future husband (or fiance of whatever) and junk, but I will keep the gory details to my sarcastic little self! And correct Lady, I will be a jokey little squirt! And Emy, eat dirt.
I'm kidding! Emy and I are very honest friends! There have been times that I was more honest to her than Sarah said was allowed (no questions, please!) and we were fine! Love you all!
-jaz

Anonymous said...

Nope, sorry, I know Jazzy well enough to know that she won't be very mushy. Maybe, maybe, MAYBE in private, but maybe not even then. Although.... ok Jaz I won't continue that thought cause I know you'd kill me and you know what I mean anyway. :P *wink*
I don't think dirt would taste good, so I'm glad you're kidding. :P Yeah no questions. LOL that would be a loooonnggg story that means nothing to the rest of you. :P

Anonymous said...

You mean you've never eaten dirt Emy? Never in your whole life?

Anonymous said...

I've eaten dirt. And ants. And frog legs. And mountain oysters. Please tell me no one elso has eaten mountain oysters. Actually, I hope no one knows what they are, much less put them in your mouth.
And I am not a mushy person. I am nerdy and cheesy, but not mushy.
-Jaz

Anonymous said...

I've eaten dirt. And ants. And frog legs. And mountain oysters. Please tell me no one elso has eaten mountain oysters. Actually, I hope no one knows what they are, much less put them in your mouth.
And I am not a mushy person. I am nerdy and cheesy, but not mushy.
-Jaz

Anonymous said...

I've eaten dirt. And ants. And frog legs. And mountain oysters. Please tell me no one elso has eaten mountain oysters. Actually, I hope no one knows what they are, much less put them in your mouth.
And I am not a mushy person. I am nerdy and cheesy, but not mushy.
-Jaz

Anonymous said...

I've eaten dirt. And ants. And frog legs. And mountain oysters. Please tell me no one elso has eaten mountain oysters. Actually, I hope no one knows what they are, much less put them in your mouth.
And I am not a mushy person. I am nerdy and cheesy, but not mushy.
-Jaz

Anonymous said...

dude, it put that comment a billion times! Or four, whatever. My computer is a piece and it flips on me sometimes.
-jaz

Unknown said...

my dad has eaten mountain oysters. Before he knew what they were. If anyone reading this doesn't know - I won't explain.

Anonymous said...

Tried mountain oysters? I think I can saftley say "never have, never will!!!!!"

Anonymous said...

Please don't explain. Gross...
Me too, Meggy. Tara just about threw up...

Brandon's Girl said...

Mountain oysters.... sounds suspicious... ewww. I feel sappy! I feel like calling Brandon and telling him everything I want to do with him. I can't for two reasons: First, he's at his class right now, therefore he has his phone off. Second: Won't say! I feel VERY sappy right now. Wow. It's like, oozing out of me, ewww...
~Nicole

Anonymous said...

Oozing sappiness? Sounds painful.
And Sarah, that is not my name on the internet! I am the Almighty Jazlynn! Mwahahahahaha!
And the mountain oysters were sick. Even though I smothered the thing in ketchup. Yucko supreme.

Lady of somethin' er 'nother... said...

No one should ever eat those! Jazlyn! Dear. No wonder you got sick.

I too, my dear, am not going to be sappy like Lana and Luke. It will be "love ya babe" but I am not a verbose lover kinda person. I will be more sappy that you dear, but not much.

Anonymous said...

I'm not looking ahead that far:P I think I'll just decide then:)

Luke Hobbs said...

I think that's wise, Meggy. I never, ever, ever anticipated being sappy and verbose. A rather pleasant surprise.

Pyrolord said...

I didn't expect it to be quite like this either... jk ;P

Unknown said...

Very wise, Meggy. But, you don't really get to decide. It just happens; one minute you've sworn to be sane and mature, and the next you've been swept off your feet and consequently lost your head. And then you come to your senses and realize that: yes, your prince charming really is charming and wonderful and your hero, and so you're all feeling very sappily in love all over again.

My point is, there's no sense in you all trying to say what you'll be like when X happens, like when you fall in love, get married, have kids, because you don't have a clue.
Having done the first one, and been pleasantly surprised, I'm content to not try to say what I'll be like when the other two happen. Being prepared is one thing, but planning your emotions is another thing entirely.

I always liked love stories, but I would NEVER have guessed I'd be saying and doing such sappy things (i.e. I'm wearing Luke's hoody that he loaned me today, and I keep sniffing the sleeves, cuz it smells like *him*. Mhmmm....)
And NOBODY ever guessed that Luke would be a romantic sap.
Truth be told, I had a list of things I wanted in a man I'd marry. Being romantic wasn't on it. The list set a pretty high standard, regarding things like attitude toward others, church, God, my family, his family, having children, and dating/purity. I figured I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who fit the description, so I didn't include any extras like being an artist, romantic, sensitive. Those were all things I'd like, but didn't think were as important.
But, Luke fits all the descriptions of my perfect man....

PLUS he smells good and likes to go shopping with me :) (my gal-friends say if he'll take you shoe shopping, he's a keeper. If it's HIS IDEA then hang on for dear life!)

Anonymous said...

True, Yana. I thought Yuke would be a dry, quiet, secretive guy when he fell in love, (no offense Yuke!) but boy, did he prove me wrong! He's definely a romantic. Definetly.

Anonymous said...

Secretive? Heehee!!!

Anonymous said...

I know, silly me!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I didn't know him... still don't really, I'm just some weird person commenting on his blog, lol. I know his brother (I'm not sure he'd say he knew me), but he doesn't have a blog that I know of. Too bad really. Jazzy Darling, why doesn't your brother come to youth fellowship? Although he doesn't meet all the "criteria" for hs teen night, I bet he could still come.
Well, I'm going all you romantic people :op
~Nicole

Attention!

This blog is under reconstruction (not to be confused with the Andrew Johnson administration).

Forth Eorlingas

Forth Eorlingas