Saturday, March 8, 2008

A passion for the Word

My son, do not forget my teaching,
but keep my commands in your heart,
for they will prolong your life many years
and bring you prosperity.

Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
bind them around your neck,
write them on the tablet of your heart.
Then you will win favor and a good name
in the sight of God and man.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge Him,
and He will make your paths straight.

Do not be wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord and shun evil.
This will bring health to your body
and nourishment to your bones.

Honor the Lord with your wealth,
with the firstfruits of all your crops;
then your barns will be filled to overflowing,
and your vats will brim over with new wine.

My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline
and do not resent His rebuke,
because the Lord disciplines those He loves,
as a father the son he delights in.

- Proverbs 3:1-12

I've been working through Proverbs lately, and these verses (among many, many others) have meant a lot to me. I'm so young, so green, so immature, and this book in particular is filled with stuff aimed directly at my life. I need it so badly. And it makes me realize anew that I need the Word, so, so badly.

As a preacher's kid, some of my greatest advantages can also turn into weaknesses, if I let them. For as long as I can remember, I've known a lot about the Bible. I used to get teased about it all the time in youth; I guess not so much anymore since I'm one of the leaders, and people are used to it. For a while, in my mid-teens, it became almost a joke in youth class to mention some Bible verse and then have me quote it word for word and provide the reference.

People would stare at me and wonder how I knew so much about the Bible. Well, it's really not that hard when it's been banged into you your whole life, from many different sources.

But I haven't been thinking much about knowing a lot about the Bible. The truth is, I don't know nearly enough. That's where this strength has turned into a weakness for me. For a long time, I've pretty much grown complacent about the Word. I've learned a lot about it, and I've begun to think that it was enough. That I didn't really need to diligently pursue the Truth of the Word of God like I used to.

As a result, I feel like I'm way behind, in a way. Sure, I spend time reading my Bible everyday, like I'm supposed to, but why do I do it? Just 'cause I'm supposed to?

That ain't good enough.

I want to have a passion for the Word of God. To be continually studying it, memorizing it, meditating on it, coming back to it, applying it to my life. I don't ever want to stop learning the Scriptures, going deeper into them. But it seems like I'm so far away from doing that consistently. Give me a hunger for Your Word, Father!

"The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life." - John 6:63

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm struggling with that too...I just finished reading through my Bible, and though I read a lot every day, it was like a forced thing...not a deep-seated desire. So, now I'm studying 2 Peter, and memorizing it.
I want to WANT more of the Word...not just do it cause I think I need to. (which I do) ;)
Good post...

Unknown said...

I could share devotional thoughts to try to get us all hungering after the word of God, but I think anything worth sayin' has been said by many writers, more eloquently than I could say them.

Anyway, I wish I knew as much of and about the Bible as you (that's directed toward both Luke and Hannah, and I suppose anyone else very knowledgeable can take it to heart also).
I guess I know more than many people do, and God has blessed me with the oppurtunities to study
His Word, but I know there's so much I don't know, don't understand, even pieces of the Bible that I've still not read.
I've read most of it, sure, but a lot of times I skip around and read what I'm inspired to read, so there's lots of things I've never read. That makes me sad.
And there's plenty of things I've read, and gotten nothing but facts from it, so I want to read all those things again.
I don't usually do bible reading programs either, b/c I know I tend towards legalism, and I want to avoid the temptation to that.
Still, I love to study the Bible, and I know I don't read it anywhere near as much as I should, I don't even get into it as much as I'd like to.

Luke, darling, you need to study the Bible with me, because I want to know all about it, and you know a whole lot more than I do. So, you can explain things to me, and then just wait until you come to something you *don't* get, and you read it and pray about it and study it (with me, of course :P ) and see if a new discovery doesn't make you passionate about reading more.

If there is one thing I remember from doing Bible Study Fellowship, it was formal old Mr. Carter (whom I always liked, but appreciate a great deal more when I look back) saying that he still learned new things when he read the same familiar passages - he said there was always something new to learn. Mr. Jan said the same. It made a great impression on me. I figured if they, who were both fairly old, (especially to 12-year-old me) were still learning new things, there must be an awful lot to learn.
I've never forgotten that, and I hope I never will.

and right along with that, I believe that there's always something new to learn about God, always more Love than we can understand, always somewhere deeper to go.
Further up and further in!

Lady of somethin' er 'nother... said...

I feel like you guys, Hannah and Luke. Though not a pk, I am generally the one who can rattle off a Bible verse to go with a lesson.
I have been trying, this new year, to get back into the word and to really know it; to "Sh'ma", it. It is a discipline that is at times hard. But as we read His word and study it He will give us the desire to know more about Him; to love His word.

Lady of somethin' er 'nother... said...

Oh dear peoples. With the decline in Luke's posts the number of comements given to him has dropped dramatically! He must feel lonely and dejected. I looked it up and the latter IS a word. I thought for a minute there I made it up but I didn't. Anyway, we have been neglecting him and I do feel that we should show him we care by each saying 'hi'.

Unknown said...

hi, Yuke

Pyrolord said...

Hey buddy buddy!!

Brandon's Girl said...

HIIII!!!! How are you?!!!! I just went shopping and I'm happy and HYPER!!!! TOOO MUCCCHHH CAFFEINE!!!! MWAHHHHH!!!!!!!!
~Nicole

Unknown said...

Hey ev'y body, my Luke has been busy lately, and today he is rather sick :( pobricito....
So, ev'ybody keep the noise to a minimum and don't disturb the sleeper :)

Luke, darling, I love you.... And miss you.

This no school during spring break thing is good cuz it gives me time to work on wedding things, but man, I sure miss you....
I'm glad we're waiting for the semester to be over, instead of waiting for my entire school career to be over til we get married.
Just imagine how sad that would be...

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'll comment quietly! Nothing to say... but Lady said you're lonely and we don't want that! You should post again.

Lady of somethin' er 'nother... said...

He doesn't really NEED to post. He is busy and my original comment was NOT to be a post prompter. But if that were to happen twould be ok with me. ;D In all seriousness; get better. I need to learn how to use punctuaion. And to spelll and count and speak Spanish and do all those otherthings not related to academics. Oh dear. Much to learn I have.

Attention!

This blog is under reconstruction (not to be confused with the Andrew Johnson administration).

Forth Eorlingas

Forth Eorlingas