Monday, December 17, 2007

Honor

By popular request...at least, it's a popular request if SHE requests it. ;-)

This was my familiar essay for Advanced Composition, a class that I took LAST SEMESTER (HA!).

It goes out of its way to explain at least a few things that you already know, but my writing teacher didn't know them, so I put them in there. I'm sure you won't mind hearing them again.

I would like to dedicate it to my editor, who is the most beautiful editor I ever met and who provided needed help in improving this paper. I think I'd like to marry her, actually. I wonder if it's okay to have that kind of relationship with your editor...


Honor

In an age where sensuality rules, the old concept of honorable romance has been all but abandoned. Rampant dating has made us break all the rules that used to hold for love – and to be proud about it. There’s no respect for parents, no respect for a girl’s heart, certainly no respect for her body. Honor, the idea of truly respecting another person and putting her before yourself, is a thing of the past. Once upon a time, a girl could hold out hope that her date wouldn’t kiss her on their first time out. Now most guys want to do nothing but find a bed, and aren’t afraid to get down to business about it. It’s an age of STIs, of date rape, and of broken homes before and after sex.

But somewhere on this earth, honor is alive and well. Somewhere a guy respects a girl and loves her enough to wait – not merely for sex, but for his love to be returned. Somewhere the world is screaming “foul”, wondering what he’s thinking, why he doesn’t just peel off her clothes and be done with it, or at least hold her hand. Welcome to my love story.

Thursday, August 23, 2007. A warm evening but not hot, few bugs, clear sky. A perfect night, all in all, I thought, as I stood on the property of the Loukota family just outside Van Buren. They had been my good friends for several years, and now they, and their daughter in particular, were about to become so much more. I knew that, and they knew that; she didn’t, and it was our job to surprise her in storybook fashion.

We had set a clever trap, the parents and I. While the original plan was mine, it was woefully inadequate. Tyler and Tracy helped me to crank up the romance scale and turn this night into one that Lana Marie Loukota and I would never forget.

Picnic table out by the Loukotas’ pond, set with a blue checkered tablecloth that just happened to match my shirt. Candles floating, that’s right, floating, on the pond; hanging from tree branches around; adorning the table. A bottle of the tastiest grape juice I have ever put in my mouth. And a perfect hiding place about seventy feet away, where I could lie in wait for my beloved.

We had tossed around a couple different contrivances for getting Lana out there. Tyler finally decided on a pretty sneaky one. The day before, he reminded Lana about when she was younger and had had poor table manners. Back then, he had told her that whenever she became a real lady, he would take her out to dinner. They had both forgotten about it for a long time. He would take her out to the pond as if to fulfill his promise. She would see the setup as providing an evening with her dad, not realizing who she would really spend it with.

It’s 8:10 pm and I’m pacing nervously among the trees. T. J., the eldest Loukota child at twenty, has returned home with his two youngest brothers, whom he had taken to McDonald’s: a diversion for him and for them. He’s now doing something over in the shop, a mere twenty feet away. I wonder whether he’ll spot me; later he will tell me that he briefly noticed something through the window but dismissed the sight as nothing.

My phone rings. It’s Tyler, though the plan was for it to be Tracy. I open it, knowing what he’s about to say. “Hello?”

“Start counting,” he replies tersely, then hangs up. It’s the preordained signal to let me know that Lana has returned from Riverwalk, a local apartment complex where she is involved in a church ministry on Thursday nights.

I shut the phone and focus on my watch, the one that Tyler gave me nine days ago when I asked him if I could court his daughter. It’s a nice watch, and it will always remind me of how much Lana’s parents care for me. For right now, it mostly reminds me that my time as a single is running out. Two minutes to wait, two minutes. Time has never flown faster.

At about one minute and thirty seconds, I begin to hear the roar of an approaching train on the tracks just outside the property. It gets louder and louder. I nearly panic; what I am about to do will not work with the train this loud. Mercifully, it dies down a bit but still continues, and I am able to go forward with the plan at about the two minute, twenty second mark.

I call Lana. Her dad will be in the bathroom, waiting for me to call her while he’s ostensibly doing something else. She answers. I try to hide a quaver in my voice as I ask her how the evening at Riverwalk went. She’s excited about it; a good number of kids showed up and they had a delightful time. I express some meaningless positive thought in response.

Soon, she informs me that she has to let me go and will call me back. I know far better than she does why she has to let me go, but don’t say anything about it. We say our goodbyes and hang
up. I crouch in my hiding spot and wait.

About forty seconds later, my future bride and her father come walking into sight, toward the table, holding hands. She looks around in wonder at the atmosphere he and I have worked hard to create. Tyler seats her with her back to me, facing the pond and its floating candles. He takes a seat opposite her and begins to talk.

I’m not really sure what he said; he wasn’t sure beforehand exactly what he’d say either, but he told me to wait twenty seconds and then come bail him out. I follow the plan and begin stepping cautiously, quietly, toward my true love. The train is still moving in the background, providing some great sound cover.

It’s too perfect. I get right up behind Lana without her hearing me. Tyler has glanced over at me a couple times while I was on my way, and now he tells Lana something about being sorry that she had to hang up with Luke. Completely disingenuous, tsk tsk; but the divinely appointed opening.

I open my mouth and in a flash she knows. “Yeah, I guess I understand if you can’t call me back right away.”

She turns and gapes for just a moment, then smiles, stunning me with her composure. Tyler says something; I again don’t know what and I don’t figure she does either because we were both paying attention to something else. Anyways, my future father-in-law makes his exit for the house, and I sit at the table across from my true love.

Of course, I knew what I’d say once I sat down. Our standard greeting, unimaginative, but fitting. “Hey.”

“Hey,” she responds. My heartbeat speeds up. This is really it, kid. You’re really here. You’ve made it.

Helplessly, I stall for about a minute and a half. “So do you want to small talk?”

She shrugs graciously and says “I don’t care”, still smiling. Of course she doesn’t want to small talk. She wants you to spit it out and make all her dreams come true. So do it, chump.

Opening my mouth, I try really hard. But I can’t do it. I just can’t. I need help from God, and so I ask if we can pray. Of course we can. We bow our heads, and I take a deep breath. Then another. And another.

I pour out my heart to God briefly, thanking Him for His goodness and asking Him to help me tonight. Amen, and we look up. And I can’t be silent about this anymore. She’s waiting, for heaven’s sake.

Mentally I clear my throat, unfortunately having no reason to do it physically. “All right, I’ll cut to the chase. With the blessing of both sets of parents, I would like to ask you to enter into a courtship relationship with me, culminating in marriage.”

There. Statement One has been made. That one’s easy compared to Statement Two. The ball is now, temporarily, in her court. Her eyes glisten as they fix steadily on mine. “What can I say?” she finally blurts. “I’d love to?” I can’t help but smile. “Yes,” I hear, “I will.”

Wow. Just, wow. With the fact that we are now officially a couple established, we begin to talk about all kinds of things, all centered on what has just begun. The candlelight allows us to spend a lot of time looking into each other’s eyes, and it’s a whole new experience. We’ve looked each other in the eye before, but would never have allowed ourselves to drink the other person in, to gaze unblinking into one another’s souls. I can’t hold her gaze for very long; it’s so piercingly innocent and joyful.

After a while of alternate talking and silent gazing, I begin to review our relationship, from the day we first met to the present. I reference February 27 as the day that I knew I was going to marry her, but let her know that I’m not going to tell her about what specifically happened then until later. She allows me to skip over it and carry us to the present.

We talk for a long time more, about kids and courting and parents and how great God is. All the while, though I’m more conscious of her than anything else, I cannot believe how amazingly perfect the evening is. I don’t want it to ever end.

At last, ten o’clock draws near, the time set by her parents for us to come back to the house. And I still haven’t told her about February 27. Finally, after waiting past ten, I know I can delay no longer. Statement Two must finish the deal, now.

“My lady,” I begin in a clipped British accent, “you have shown remarkable patience and forbearance, but time is running short and we still have not discussed the matter of the 27th of February. Do you wish to do so now?”

With eyes dancing, she smiles and answers formally, “I do.”

“Very well; then I shall tell you.” But before telling her, I want to make something very clear. “Lana, let me preface this by saying that I don’t want you to think that I merely believe this is God’s will, although I do; that I merely love you as a friend, although I do; or that I am merely very strongly attracted to you, although I am.”

And I proceed to tell her about 2/27/07. We were in American Lit class that day at UAFS, with Mrs. Winters our professor. It was the day we had gotten our graded essays back, and because of a technicality Lana hadn’t realized, she got a D on it. Mrs. Winters offered an opportunity to revise the essay and redeem much of her score, but Lana was still completely torn up. She didn’t stop crying through American Lit, and was still crying as we went to our next class. I relive it all for her, telling her how terrible I felt about it, how unable I was to even try to comfort her. And then how, sitting with her in the lecture hall of the Gardner Building, waiting for American Revolution to commence, I fell in love with her. We had been best friends for a while at that point, but that was the moment when God showed me that we were to marry, and allowed me to give my heart away. I had kept it back all my life, had never allowed any girl to have it, and from that moment it was all hers.

And I wrap up by saying those long-awaited words to my bride-to-be: “Lana, I love you.”

Her eyes begin to well up again as she takes in all that I have told her. Then, quietly, she fulfills my dream. “I love you too.”

But I want to make something clear. “Do you?” I query.

“I do.”

Because, I say, I don’t want to pressure her in this in any way. “I want you to always know that when I tell you I love you, it’s not because I want to hear it back. It’s because it’s true.”

She stares at me with gratitude and, yes, love, and reaffirms that she truly does love me.

And I am overwhelmed. I go on to tell her another vital thing that I have longed to say for so long: how beautiful she is. To tell her that “I truly believe you are the most beautiful creature I have ever put my eyes on.” Awkward wording at the last, but at least I get it out. I tell her that she’s not merely beautiful, but pretty; that there is a difference in my view. Tears form in her eyes again. She knows at last how beautiful she is, how I see her. “And I like to think,” I finish, “that when I look at you, I get a glimpse of the beauty that God sees when He looks at you.”

She gazes at me tearfully. “That’s beautiful,” she whispers. “Thank you. Thank you.”

After a short while longer, we blow out the candles, head back to the house, and inform her brothers of our status change. We’ve waited for years to fall in love, have kept our hearts back, have stayed away from any semblance of romance. We will still wait to express any physical affection, even holding hands, until the wedding day. But the journey has begun, and we’re taking it together.

You just can’t tell me honor is dead. You can’t tell me it doesn’t work. You can’t tell me it’s not romantic.

My eyes tell me otherwise.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

it's a beautiful essay, I say again...
It's fun to be your editor, darling. I like it when you take my advice, too :^P
though certainly you don't always have to. They're more suggestions, really...
Anyway, I love you, my honorable knight.

Anonymous said...

I have to say it: awwwwwwwwwww.......... :) No really, it's so very, very sweet... very romantic.... so perfect. Ya'll are so sweet. "Storybook fashion".... aww... :P
Anyway, great story... I haven't heard that many details from YOUR point of view, Luke...
Thank you, you two, for being a good example to us....

And on another note, Luke, I hate to start the playlist conversation again but I wanted to tell you that there *is* a song I like on here... "I'll lead you home"... :D
~Emy

Anonymous said...

I think that's the most detailed version I've heard so far!!!! Very nice Sir Luke! The "you're the most beautiful creature I ever set eyes on" does sound a little akward or Lucasy to guys, but I don't think there is a girl living that really thinks that! And it is wonderful to have living proof through that honor's not dead. You guys are so inspiring!

Anonymous said...

*sigh* ;l *sigh*

Unknown said...

I echo Lady's response:
*sigh*

Oops, Luke, your editor overlooked another. I think that what you said was "the most beautiful *girl*" not *creature*...
Which does sound a but better, but no more or less sweet, romantic, or wonderful...
I love you...
This is the most detailed version of the story, I think...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, no girl would think it sounds awkward.... but girl would sound better than creature... most girls prolly wouldn't appreciate being called a creature... :P
Luke, maybe you should go into writing romance stories. :P You obviously have it down, since every girl has *sigh*ed... :P
~Emy

Luke Hobbs said...

You can't make up a story like that. And anyway I have no interest whatsoever in romance fiction, even the kind that champions "honorable" romance. Not to say that I won't someday write stories with honorable romances in them, but I think you can learn so much more from a true story like ours than from one that somebody made up.

Unknown said...

The writing is beautiful, to be sure, but emy, I sighed b/c it is true and it is my story. Mine and Luke's story...
I love you Luke.
*Sigh* this is my happy...

Anonymous said...

Well, Emy, being called creature is offensive. Unless it's like, "the creature Gollum" it's perfectly fine! You prolly won't care a whit if someone says you're the most beautiful creature they've ever seen. Right? Besides, creature covers every living thing in the world, not just females. There. I win:P

Anonymous said...

Well, fine, Meggy, you're right... I wouldn't care a bit... :P but I still say girl sounds better...
And Luke, I know that this true story is better than fiction, but I still say you could write Christian honorable romance stories... because, although this is a true story, it would not be nearly as exciting or breath-taking if it weren't well-written...
And as for you, Lana, I know that's why YOU sighed... :P
~Emy

Anonymous said...

He could maybe write such literature but I would much rather read some other style of novel.
Right now we (the family) have been listening to the "Kingdom series" by Chuck Black. They are pretty good. But I think we could have dramatized them wayyyyy better. The book isn't that well written but I like them ok.

;D

Hannah Hobbs said...

Why, Lady??? :P Caleb's reading those books. He likes them pretty well.

Merry Christmas, Luke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll have to read your Christmas letter to find out what I want to say to you, but... :)
Love you big brother,
Hannah

Attention!

This blog is under reconstruction (not to be confused with the Andrew Johnson administration).

Forth Eorlingas

Forth Eorlingas