Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Sickies, and Being Ready

Well, the sickies finally caught up with me. You can only elude their grasp for so long. I've had some fever the last couple of days, a bit of a sore throat, and some congestion of the nasal cavity. It wasn't a bad time to be sick, because it forced me to get some rest. At least, it wasn't a bad time until today; I was supposed to go with Lana's family to a Christmas get-together with her dad's family, and I had to miss it. Really wanted to go, and I know they wanted me to as well...:-(

But that's the hand that God's dealt me. So today I've been working this afternoon to get ready for the Christmas musical endeavour at our church tomorrow night. I think it's gonna be pretty neat. Unfortunately my darling is going to have to miss it because of family stuff; my Lana, we really must talk sometime and figure out whether it would work to marry each other. ;-) The courtship period is hard because we're so in love and so connected and emotionally intimate, and yet there's still a feeling of disjointedness. I haven't yet left my father and mother to cleave to her and become one flesh with her, and so we're apart. While courtship is a blast, I'm glad this isn't as far as it goes.

And I know that being married will be hard, in different ways. It'll be our family, our household, forming our own identity. (We've talked a little about that, but it probably wouldn't help you to share what we discussed.) We'll have new responsibilities, new difficulties, and of course new joys.

It's scary, and exciting. I marvel at what God has done in our lives (particularly in mine, I suppose, since I'm the one living it) to bring us closer to marriage. Six months ago, even though I knew who I was going to marry, marriage seemed distant, a dream still a long time from fulfillment. Even after I began courting Lana, I figured there would be a lengthy time before we got married. And even after I started hoping and thinking about this coming summer for our union, I still wasn't ready in a lot of ways, still needed to grow up and mature and sort through the emotions.

Am I ready now? Of course, I think that in a sense, I always have been and never will be. In different ways, of course. But that sidesteps the question: Am I ready?

Only God knows. I think so. I hope so. But I don't know. And at this point, I don't think the issue is about me being ready or Lana being ready. The issue is: Are we ready?

And I want us to be. I want it so bad. Right now I'm in the position of praying, and studying, and seeking counsel, and having to rely on God that we'll make the right decision. I find myself in that spot a lot, and I don't always handle it like I should. Somehow He still shows me His grace; He still blesses me with an amazing bride-to-be and two awesome parents and two wonderful parents-in-law(-to-be). And He still guides me down paths of righteousness, for His Name's sake.

Most of you my readers (at least, the ones that post comments; I don't know how many lurkers are out there) aren't yet in the position of having to make decisions like these. That's a good thing. But again, let me urge you to use your time as a single to draw near to God, and to prepare for marriage. The decisions -- who you'll marry, when you'll marry, where you'll live, how you'll earn money, etc. -- will still loom large one day, but you'll have trained so that you can tackle them head-on.

Above all, remember: It all comes down to His grace. What a great and glorious God we serve!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it *is* a good thing, isn't it, since I, for one, am only 15? :P LOL

Okay, listen here... I issue a challenge to you both, Luke and Lana. I challenge each of you to write a post -- just one post -- that doesn't (take a deep breath) say anything sappy or romantic or talk about being in love or getting married or each other. I know, it would be *very* hard, in fact, at this point, I'm not sure I believe you could do it, which is why I've challenged you... are you up to the challenge?? :P
your annoying little sis,
~Emy

Lady of somethin' er 'nother... said...

Emy that was cruel! Why in the world should they do that?!

Sorry I am a sucker for holy sap. Beside when the story is true and encouraging why shouldn't it be shared? Does it not glorify God? Does it not cause others to cry out to Him to thank Him and ask Him draw them close to Himself? My heart sings His praises every time I read bits of ya'll story. Look what God has done! And ya'll aren' the only ones He blesses is such ways. God is infinitely good! Amen?

I wish I had some words of encouragement for you as ya'll wait. I guess just trust Him 'cause He is faithful.

;D Merry Christmas

Emma said...

Oh, Lady, I love hearing it too... I only issued the challenge b/c I don't think they can do it, and b/c I have to help Hannah be an annoying little sister... LOL
~Emy

Luke Hobbs said...

Emy, you might check out my post of Friday, December 7, entitled "The Word from the Cave." Not that I omitted mention of my darling bride-to-be or my undying love for her just to prove that I could.

Anonymous said...

Okay, Luke, you're right (as always).... very good job, bravo, I now believe you *can* do it... even though you were prolly too tired to notice *anything* :P
Lana...... I'm waiting....... :P LOL
~Emy

Unknown said...

see dec. 8 and dec 3, Emma.
though, franky, Luke is the most important person in the world, to me- so I don't see how it is good for me to try to leave him out ofthings. We'rre going to be husband and wife; why would you ask us to, even temporarily, ignore each other's existence!!
shame, shame, emy....

this is a lot of kidding, but serious, also...

And Luke, my love, is that the real issue?

I love you...

Anonymous said...

Aaah! Ya'll are missing the point!! I said it's great for you to talk about each other and I'm glad you love each other but I just didn't think you were *capable* of it and I thought it'd be funny to challenge you... LOL
~Emy

Luke Hobbs said...

I love you too.

I will say that the further I go, the more I discover that I don't know. In my frame of mind yesterday, I probably shouldn't have tried to define any issue. And I'm willing to accept that maybe it really is just me, that if WE aren't ready, it might just be because of ME.

The rest of you guys can like ignore that if you wish, if it doesn't make sense.

Anonymous said...

Emma, dearest, take a break. Go breath deeply, and then come back and sit in your comfy chair in front of the computer. Being annoying as a little sister (esp. to Luke} takes practice. Timing, my dear, timing!!!!! It's all in the timing.
And, as for her challenge...um, I'll skip even thinking about replying to those comments. :)
Oh, and Emma, remember...tone. Even over the internet, you have to commmunticate the proper tone, facial expressions, and...good grief, it's hard to be an annoying little sister! Now, with Daniel you just hit him right off the bat (saves time)...right, Than???? :P But, Luke...hmm. Luke, you're difficult to seriously make mad...
Okay, I'm talking to myself now...so, I better go write a program for tonight.
Namarie!

Emma said...

Yes, Luke *is* VERY hard to make mad.... it's frustrating and just makes me mad!! LOL but when he just plain IGNORES me when I walk by him in church and say something to him, THAT makes me mad, too!!! Did I offend you that deeply with the thing about the posts? I was JK, really.... I guess you're about ready to disown me, too.... :P I'm JK, I know you weren't feeling well, but you would think it doesn't make you deaf... LOL
And anyway, I'm not hitting Daniel... I'm on his side with the Hannah-controls-Emma's-life conversation... LOL
~Emy

Hannah Hobbs said...

But, Emma, I DON'T control your existence!!!! I REALLLYYYY don't!
I didn't actually witness the Emma/Luke encounter this morning, so I won't comment. Kk? K.
Namarie!

Anonymous said...

hahaha, ok fine... :P
Ah, well, I guess all the offenses today are forgotten... since you so kindly reached the half-ping-pong-paddle for me since *some* people think it's funny to take advantage of my small stature... :P
K, Luke, I have an idea for an ice-breaker for youth class... LOL I won't say it here though... :P
~Emy

Anonymous said...

Merry CHRISTmas, bro!
~emy~

Unknown said...

we'll talk about issues later...
Yeah, my love, I think that we're being mostly ignored on your blog...
Maybe cuz we're such saps, usually ;^P
I love you. Merry Christmas!

BTW, to the rest of you, Luke and I were both too busy on Sunday to post, but that was our FOUR MONTH anniversary!!
We came up with a new title for Luke that day, too: my "beau"
Not bad ;^P Still, I think I'll enjoy it when I can call him my fiance, and even better when I can call him my husband (it's much less complicated. well, and I might look forward to it for other reasons, also :^P )

Anonymous said...

we're not *ignoring* you at all... I simply don't know what you're talking about and that's fine, but you can't expect me to say anything about something I don't know about.... oh, wait a minute... I do that all the time, don't I? :P LOL
Anyway, Lana, I hope you and your beau are having a great day...
~Emy

Luke Hobbs said...

The new title didn't last very long...

Unknown said...

nope.

Attention!

This blog is under reconstruction (not to be confused with the Andrew Johnson administration).

Forth Eorlingas

Forth Eorlingas