Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Beating of Your Life

OK, well, I should probably be in bed, but tomorrow's a Saturday and I don't have to get up at all if I don't feel like it (OK, that's a slight exaggeration), and I'm still trying to clear my brain from today. So I figured I'd give ya'll a blog post on this the First Day of the Month of Decembre in Anno Domini Two Zero Zero Seven. Since some of you have been loudly demanding it for a while.

This has been absolutely the craziest week ever. At least a nominee for the title, anyway. It's been way down, it's been way up, it's been invigorating, numbing, energizing, tiring, sad, happy, torturous, fun. Sorry, I like to use series of adjectives like that; someday I'll do that in some great book, I'm sure, but till then you'll have to cope with me doing it multiple times.

Sometimes I just wish life would go away for a while and leave me alone. Just for a little while. Not the people in my life, of course, no -- there wouldn't be much point in being all alone, without my family or my church or my Lana or anyone there.

I'm beginning to realize that this is what happens when you grow up. It's not that you necessarily become any less of a kid, though you certainly have to become a lot more of an adult. But the grind of life hits you and it never stops. It rolls right over you and keeps coming. It never stops. It picks you up off the ground so it can throw you down again. It never stops.

Even when it does go away for a while, it's still there. You can't escape it forever. At best you get brief respites. But it won't really go away. It doesn't go away on Saturday. It doesn't go away on your honeymoon. It doesn't go away on vacation. It just allows you to forget about it for a little while.

And then it's back full force, smacking you in the face, daring you to look it in the eye. 7:30, buddy boy, time to get up. Long day ahead of you. You groan like an overmatched boxer and stagger up for another round; the knockout hasn't ended the match.

On and on you go, as days turn into years. Your body starts to break down. You're too tired to cry at the pain anymore. Bam! An uppercut across the chest. Then another. And another. And another.

You sink to the ground, eyes open and blood-filled, vacant. You wait to be picked up again for more pummeling. You want to die.

And then you do.

The blood clears your eyes in a flash; you rise up without thinking about it; the crowd begins to cheer. You look down and see your enemy lying fallen to the floor. You don't know how he got there. He glares up at you, powerless.

Then the Referee strides to your side; He grabs your hand and thrusts it aloft in His own. Without looking at His hand, you can feel the hole in it.

You fall down again as the crowd cascades cheers. The laurel drops off your head and rests at His feet. You look up and He's smiling, puts His wounded hands on your shoulders. He doesn't have to say anything.

And suddenly it hits you in a flash. You search His eyes in wonderment. His smile broadens as He nods. The crowd becomes deafening.

You were winning all along.


Like all portrayals of life that we humans can concoct, this one's skewed, and that's intentional. The boxing match analogy falls pretty far short in some areas. Life isn't all just one big beating. There's magnificent joy, not just exhausted tears; great victories, not just crushing defeats. The abundant life, the one that He gives us, that dwells inside us, that bursts forth like the dawn, runs counter to the life that we fight everyday. And it triumphs over it.

But the life that we live, threescore and ten years or however long it may be, is nothing. One day we will open our eyes and it will be gone. Forever.

The crowd will erupt and we will see the Savior's face. We will have escaped, not because we found a way out, but because Someone took the keys and threw the doors open.

We will step into the life that is true life. And we won't ever want a break from it. We won't ever get tired of it. We won't ever pound our head against the wall hoping the headache will somehow go away.

There will be no more headache.

And we will live forever with Him, you and me and the hosts of the redeemed. We'll celebrate the victory of the match, and worship the Winner.

And He will praise us, because He has made us winners too.

30 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you, darling.
I praise God that He does let us see some of the victories before the final one, and that life isn't all one big boxing match, but I thought the analogy was beautiful anway...
And this week has been all those things you said, and more besides, heartbreaking, exhilirating, dramatic, beautiful, frightening, peaceful, lovely- mostly at different times.
And I can't believe it's another week over. It's been long, but fast, too.
Life does speed by. I'm glad I'll have you for the rest of mine.
I love you, my wonderful man...

Anonymous said...

My, Luke I guess yu're getting old!:P Heehee! As for dwarf names, I was thinking against the Third Ageish ones as well. Dwarves are just hard! There's barely anything about them in the books. Yeah, Nan the sites sound cool! And helpful.
Come to think of it, why isn't there more about dwarves do yall suppose? They could make up beautiful and interesting story. I mean, who doesn't like Gimli!

Hannah Hobbs said...

I've met people who think Gimli is horrible...but, we won't go there, shall we?
Luke...that was beautiful. Good imagery, very good concrete, compact, vivid words.
I think all of us are that way. I think-never mind, you don't want a sermon...
~Grace

Hannah Hobbs said...

Okay, so the template???????
~Grace

Luke Hobbs said...

Not bad, but you're gonna have to do something about those pics, because they're stretched on my computer too, which means they're stretched on everybody's computers.

Unknown said...

The template is cool, but, why are the pictures doing that? they didn't do it on Hannah's blog...
EEEEKKKK! I look FAT!
Don't laugh, Luke, it is NOT FUNNY!

Emma said...

*I* didn't laugh, Lana, and it is stretched. Other than that, *I* like it. I haven't actually had time to read this post after I begged for it I have been so busy so there's nothing more to write now...
~Emy

Anonymous said...

La-NA, you are STRETCHED, not FAT!!! Ma'am, Please Calm Down. The matter shall most likely be fixed as soon as possible.
Nice template of your Oh-so-adorable girl Sir Luke!

Luke Hobbs said...

Thank my sister; she did the work and I did the approval. Nice job Nan; hopefully we can get the pics fixed.

I did not laugh, darling. I didn't think it was funny.

Unknown said...

oh. good. I did laugh at myself...

OK, Meggy, I'll calm down. Hum a C and then a G, huh Emma? :^P
But, Hannah, I think it looks awesome! Besides the me being fat problem ;^P which you could actually just remove those pics, because that's a lot of pictures of me...

Hannah Hobbs said...

Lana,
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Luke wanted a Lana themed template...so, I'll fix the pictures. I just *really* don't have time at this moment, so I'll try it tomorrow.... :) :P
~Hannah

Unknown said...

never fear, the noble knight saved his maiden from the horror of stretched pictures. Thanks, darling!

Luke Hobbs said...

I love you, darling.

Unknown said...

*contented sigh*

Emma said...

To break the sappiness.... :P
I finally got around to reading this post... though it is a good analogy, Luke, it's quite a disturbing one. You almost had me crying and I'm not sure why.
~Emy

Anonymous said...

Gee whiz, you two! THANK YOU Emy!:P

Luke Hobbs said...

Wow, did we just get too sappy for the readership? Man...Cool.

Emy, it's kinda meant to be disturbing, in a way. As Christians we are called to never become too attached to this life, to focus on the life that is to come. Colossians 3:1-4, among other places. We should long for heaven, to be rescued from this body of death, as Paul says. And as He also says, the whole creation groans inwardly, waiting for the redemption of our bodies; and we groan for it too.

BTW, I like the template, and I like the playlist fine, as far as playlists go (not wild about them at all, actually); but it really bugs me that "Bilbo's Song" and "Arwen's Credits" are for some reason in different keys than the original. Throws me off every time I hear them.

Anonymous said...

Nah, I just knew that *some* ppl wanted the sappiness to be broken. :P

Well I guess so... but, still... it was quite.... um... I can't think of a word... well, I can think of one but I don't know how to spell it and it doesn't quite describe it right... so, I'll just stick with the fact that it was disturbing and almost made me cry. :P Well written, tho, and it *was* an interesting analogy.

Different keys?? Good grief... my sister tells me I can change keys in the middle of a song and not even know it.... lol!

~Emy

Hannah Hobbs said...

Yeah, thanks, Emy....I thought *I* would have to do something...and I'm already on thin ice. :P

Yeah, I spose so.

Key Change??? Fine, I'll put different songs on there...maybe you'll like THOSE better??? But, fyi (and Lana's) I REFUSE to put country on there. Period. Not a chance. Okay, so, I had my say.
Oh, and key changes...me and Tara always talk like, "Oh that song had a cool chord progression after the bridge, before it went to distortion..." and, "I really liked the key change in that song, it was good, really..." etc.
Okay, you didn't *want* to know any of that...
So, I'm going to bed.
Miss you Emma!
~Hannah
PS oh, and Luke, on the last post...I just noticed that you said that I said lover. Sorry, didn't say that. I said "Lana." :P :P :P

Unknown said...

Hannah, he wasn't directly quoting you, he was paraphrasing, so he used the synonym for "Lana"... So, don't be offended, LOL ;-P

BTW, Luke my love, if you decide to put any country songs on the player ;^P you might search for "If I could make a living" (out of loving you) by Alan Jackson. Good song... It's been sung by many, but I *think* Alan Jackson does it the best.
That didn't make it on the list of songs you simply have to hear, only b/c I forgot to add it :^)
I love you... I miss you.
Ya'll, Luke and I won't get to see each other until TUESDAY...
So, we may be a little bit sappy around here, to make up for it. Hope ya'll don't mind.
LOL, JK... Sort of ;^P heehee...

Anonymous said...

oh dear..... :P nah, fine w/me... :D
~Emy

Unknown said...

Thanks for the permission, why, you're the very picture of generosity, emy- especially since this is Luke's blog and everything ;^P
Sorry, I'm teasing again... Don't know why I have to, it's not like you have a competition going with *me*, LOL
And to the kind and handsome and chivalrous and intelligent and wonderful owner of this blog: I love you

Emma said...

hahaha, whatever! But are you saying I'm not usually generous to Luke???
~Emy

Lady of somethin' er 'nother... said...

I don't like the music or at least not all of it. Last night I got on this for the first time since the template change and heard the music. Umm well,,, uhhh,,, how do I put it nicely? It sounded sort of.... shall we say girly. I think that is a polite way to state my oppinion. I promptly turned off the sound. Not masculine enough for a warrior. Now then, the music, as a general rule, is pretty. And, to my glee, I did recongnize from whence it came.

I didn't know that there was more than one song and I only listened to part of whatever comes on by default.

The pictures have either been fixed or don't distort on my computer cuase they look good! Lana dearie you are quite beautiful, quite beautiful indeed!

Unknown said...

Nah, Emma, I wasn't saying that... I know you're generous to Luke, cuz you put up w/ his teasing ;^P and our sappiness. I was just being sarcastic, b/c for some reason, our sappiness on Luke's blog seems to bother some visitors :^P so I think it's incredibly 'generous' of you to say it's okay with you, or something. i think that's what I meant :^P

Ah, LOTR music is very prettiful, but I wouldn't say it was feminine at all. (assuming that's what you mean by 'girly'). But certainly some tracks are softer and prettier than others...
Luke thrives on listening to and analyzing the soundtrack of LOTR :^D He's gonna teach me all about it next summer- tutor me on LOTR music appreciation. You would be shocked to learn how many different themes and motifs there are... (see Luke, I'm already learning!)
Anyway, this brings up an interesting question: CAN music be gender-specific?

Luke Hobbs said...

Girly? Don't be dissin' my Howard Shore like that! Two of the tracks are score from scenes prominently featuring ladies, but I don't think you could call them girly, and certainly not any of the others.

Don't get me started on music that actually qualifies as girly; my sis and adopted sis know how I feel about at least some of that.

Oh, and I love you, darling Lana.

Right now, "The Hornburg" is playing, and I assure you, the Lothlorien theme in a martial horns arrangement is definitely not girly.

Anonymous said...

No I don't think it can. I'm now listening to "Twilight and Shadow" which has 5 stars on my iPod! But the fact that it's LOTR makes it Okiday for Luke's blog. And the music is the best soundtrack in the world which makes it ok for anybody's blog! But besides, this blog is sheer sap right?:P So pretty music fits it!

Unknown said...

Sheer sap? Not hardly- he hasn't written a sappy post in a long time!
and LOTR is NOT sappy, c'mon people!
"The Hornburg" is great!
I'm listening to "samwise the brave" right now... Beautiful. Just b/c something is beautiful doesn't make it feminine or girly, ya'll! and as a sidenote, soemthing can be girly without being beautiful, I think...

How do you feel about 'girly' music, my love, you've never told me...

I love you, too, my man... Miss you...

Unknown said...

ack, what happened to howard shore's beautiful creations?!?
micheal w. smith is cool too, though, i guess...
i'm typing no caps b/c lily pie is in one arm ;p so i've got one hand...

Emma said...

Luke if I am the mentioned "adopted sis", I can't recall you ever talking about how you feel about 'girly' music or whatever....??
I have to say, I think LOTR music is beautiful (I *LOVE* the May It Be song!!) but I find some of it a bit boring, when it's just instrumental... sorry... :P
I also have to say that I do NOT like the new playlist.... sorry agian.... :P
~Emy

Attention!

This blog is under reconstruction (not to be confused with the Andrew Johnson administration).

Forth Eorlingas

Forth Eorlingas