Monday, September 10, 2007

Sunday and CtB

Thanks to those who prayed for filming on Saturday and for my sermon last night. The filming ended up falling through yet again, but the message went pretty well and I could definitely feel the prayers.

I absolutely loved having my bride-to-be there with me, from 5:00 till time to go home. It was great to have her in class and to sit by her in the service. We actually got to sing side-by-side for the first time (usually I'm up on the stage). She encourages me and lifts me up so much. So do my fellow youth leaders Chris and Dusty, who left their seats and came and prayed for me during the worship. I love those guys and appreciate them so much. I know that I don't have a clue how good I have it in my youth group. Or how good I have it with the love of my life, for that matter.

The message was, well, really hard. At no point did I feel that I was communicating particularly well, but that's okay since what matters most is that I'm submitted to God. There were plenty of things I wish I could have said better, elaborated on, made clearer; but ultimately I believe I obeyed God's call and delivered the message He gave me. If I do that, then I have succeeded even if there is no response. And there was some response (visible, that is), so I consider myself very blessed.

Call me immodest, call me vain, but I'm really looking forward to hearing from those of you who have received the latest CtB and read the "Warrior of the Dawn" short story. I hope you all like it; I think it's one of the better pieces I've written, though that's not saying much. I would like to make clear that it's not an autobiographical story; I do identify with the protagonist, but not in a way any of you would likely understand. I had already written the story when I started this blog, and this name was the only good one I could think of, so, there.

And I fully realize that some of you have NOT received our newest issue, so all I can say for you is be patient; it's coming. Hope you like pictures of me and Lana; I think it has five. Unfortunately, they're in black and white and don't show up particularly well, so maybe we can get them all posted online (I know Lana's already posted the best one on her blog).

Also, please pray for our beloved Meggy and her family, who are completing their move to Colorado as of today. I can't imagine what it would be like to move that far away from everything I've ever know, and I know it has to be very tough for them; so lift them up before the Father.

Elen sila lumenn omentialvo. There, Emy, I did it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

arghh... I hate it when this comment thing deletes your comment when you try to publish it... :(
anyway, I think you sermon was good!
And CtB was great!! (tho you're right it had a lott of pics of you ad Lana but that's ok :D) Your story was really good but Lana had to explain to me why it was your name and that it was a sort of allegory that could be applied to a number of things in life.. that's what i figured, but wasn't quite sure.
Yes, do pray for Meggy... :'( WAAHH!!!
Wow that's great but could you translate it please? :P Also, why *High* Elven?? Is it like for high class elves?? :P And is there a Low Elven?? ok that prolly sounded dumb sorry!! :P
~Emy

Anonymous said...

Oh, so she thinks it's an allegory, does she? I suppose that's one application of it. Not the only one.

Elen sila lumenn omentialvo = A star shines on the hour of our meeting. Beautiful words and a beautiful meaning, don't you agree? Although, come to think of it, I guess they have a special meaning for me and Lana.

High Elven is named as such because it is the language of the High Elves. Why are they High Elves? Well, that would take far more explanation of Tolkien's world than you are willing to stomach. Of course, you did ask. But I'll be nice and refrain from telling you. Ask Sarah sometime -- if you have plenty of time, that is.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I guess I could have said that "High Elven" is not the proper name of the tongue; it is Quenya, "the Speech." The other main Elven-tongue is NOT called "Low Elven", but Sindarin, the language of the Sindar, a branch of Elves. But that's probably far more than you wanted to know...

Anonymous said...

Indeed! And Quenya for WARRIOR OF THE DAWN is Amaurea Ohtaro I believe. I am currently working on a project in which I need to know some Quenya. It's neat!
Thanks for the prayers. We've been in need of them! We are really gone and it is a punch in the stomach. Goodbyes are truly no fun at all! God Bless

Anonymous said...

Okaayyy... uh, I'll ask Sarah, that is if I really want to know more... ;D
So, Warrior, what would your explanation of the story be?
~Emy

Anonymous said...

I am glad you survived your sermon. I knew you would. I've heard you preach before. It must have been a blessing to be able to see what God was doing (a little) and not just know that He was working in hearts. I am sure that sitting by your lady was thrilling and of course the usual "sweet".

I am anxiously awaiting CtB. Now I hunger even more for the revelation of your name. You see, haven been told it was to be disclosed by way of story, my curiosity has been piqued.

Lady

Anonymous said...

I love your allegory story! Of course, I love most of the things you write! I'm so proud of you!

Your very biased, prejudiced mother :)
P. S. Just wanted you to know I DO read your blog!

Unknown said...

Luke, my love, I said it was "sort of an allegory type thing", which plenty of room for your other explanations ;^P
I so enjoyed being with you on Sunday, and again I thought you did wonderfully. (note to all other readers: that was an unbiased opinion)
It really touched me when Dusty and Chris came and prayed for you.
It's such a joy to pray for you...

And Meggy, I'll be praying for you, too.

Luke Hobbs said...

Yes, we are lifting you up, Meggy. Wow, I wish I actually knew Quenya; the only reason I know the particular phrase I quoted is because Frodo says it in LOTR. But I do of course recognize "Ohtaro", warrior; that's the name or title of Isildur's squire.

Lana, I'm sorry. Because I love Tolkien's stuff so much, I often chafe at allegorical interpretation, as he did. Not to say that WotD isn't allegory, but it's more than that.

So then, as Emy asks, what else is it? Merely another thread in a long line of various ideas I have had for a fantasy world. Be thankful that this particular one saw publication, as most of them likely never will.

Oh, and finally, I belatedly realized that the short story itself, appropriately enough, uses Quenya. Yes, that's what those strange words are that the warrior quotes at the end. If you wish to read the story that he was thinking of, it can be found in The Silmarillion as "Of Nirnaeth Arnoediad: The Battle of Unnumbered Tears".

Attention!

This blog is under reconstruction (not to be confused with the Andrew Johnson administration).

Forth Eorlingas

Forth Eorlingas