Thursday, September 27, 2007

While you're waiting...

Well, here I go again. I started a post with some big ideas, and found myself unable to finish it to my satisfaction before I leave work. That makes two now; maybe, just maybe, I'll get them done and posted next week. I hope.

The thought currently occupying my mind: Bloom where you're planted. A crass, cliched way to put a biblical truth, the truth that God wants you to follow Him and to take joy, no matter what your situation.

Today a friend of mine told Lana and me to enjoy our courtship time, because "that's the best time of your life." He said that when you get married, everything is so much harder. I'm sure that's true, but I honestly don't care, because I love Lana and if there's anything I want to do with the life God has given me, it's marrying her.

So yeah, I kinda begged to differ with his implication that being married is somehow not as good as the time beforehand (to represent him fairly, he did say that marriage is awesome, just that it's so much harder). But it got me thinking about the entire issue of being in different situations. I do need to enjoy this time of courtship with Lana; it won't last forever.

My time as a single is already complete, gone, finis. And now that it's over, I wouldn't want to get it back for anything, but that's certainly a sobering thought. Makes me want to encourage you readers out there to use your time as a single for God, as Paul admonishes us in 1 Corinthians. To me, one of the worst things about dating (and there are many bad things about it) is that it takes away that blessed time of singleness from young men and women. When you're dating, you're not married, but you still have a lot of time monopolized by another person; it's essentially the worst of both worlds. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, read 1 Corinthians 7:32-35.

So I want to enjoy this time that God has given me to court my beloved Lana; one day this time will be over and our time of marriage will begin. If you're single and just champing at the bit to find that special someone, I encourage you to wait patiently. God will fulfill that dream in His own time; in the meantime, He has great things for you as a single. Don't get so caught up in the longing to find a mate that you miss out on what He's doing in your life right now. And just don't wait on your mate; while you're waiting, let God use you in mighty ways, ways that won't be possible when you're married.

As I look back on my time as a single, I know I was not perfect, in purity or in any other area. Yet I think that, for the most part, because I committed not to date or to give any part of myself to a girl, God was able to use me in ways that simply would not have been possible otherwise. It scares me to think of how many Christian young people limit God's work in their lives by pursuing romance before His time. Don't make that mistake; use your time as a single for His glory.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

"Give thanks in all circumstances"

You know Luke, I know you had to wait awhile before telling me you loved me, but I think it was best for me, because I wasn't 'enjoying my single time' for awhile there. Not that I was unhappy that I was single, but that for a long time, I was worrying and not truly trusting God with my life. But I had been awakening, in a way, to the Love of God, very slowly at first, and then rapidly, and I was nearly busting with happiness already, at the time that you asked to court me. (I say as though it were very long ago, not just five weeks ;^P )
I think a huge explanation of how we can be so happy and so in love with each other is that we were both so happy and being shown God's love, and were so in love with Him first.
Whatcha think?
I love you, Sir Luke!

Anonymous said...

Warrior,
You are so encouraging. Thanks for writing this, and encouraging us younger and single people. ;D
~Emy

Anonymous said...

That's totally amazing, my princess; I did not know that. Obviously, you couldn't have told you before. Hey, it has been five weeks now, hasn't it?

And I think you're totally right. Naturally. I love you.

You're welcome, Emy. Not only is it overwhelming to get to have a romance with such an incredible woman as Lana Marie, it's also overwhelming to get to be an example to you guys. I'm more than happy to do it; I wish I'd had an example when I was you guys' age, because back then I honestly didn't know if it could be done.

Just be prepared, Emy and all others. I never thought that I would one day be an example to others. You may not think that either, but I've got news for you: you will be. And I've got further news for you: you already are. Talk about motivation to live a pure and upright life.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, typo; should have said "couldn't have told ME before" in paragraph 1.

Oh, and, I love you, Lana.

Anonymous said...

Hey, great post, Luke...
Did you comment on my blog??? :) I mean, this afternoon???
love you big brother,
Eruannie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great post! Tried to comment before but my computer died. I have a question for the LOTR expert if you've got it at the top of your head: How long does your average dwarf live? I'd look it up, but I don't have acess to my books right now. Meggy T

Luke Hobbs said...

According to the Appendices, the average dwarf lifespan would be 250 years. Lucky them.

Unknown said...

Yes, but the average dwarf doesn't marry. Unlucky them.
I shouldn't enjoy living anywhere near that long without you, my love.

Anonymous said...

yuck! I wouldn't want to live that long... gross!
~Emy

Unknown said...

A lot of people live longer in middle earth...
They don't look like a man would look after 250 years or anything, Emy ;^P
Still, that'd be a long time to live...

Attention!

This blog is under reconstruction (not to be confused with the Andrew Johnson administration).

Forth Eorlingas

Forth Eorlingas