Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Being a Subcreator

Sometimes I wonder what to say in my blog posts. It often feels as if I don't really have anything new -- God is awesome, I'm in love with Lana, school is school, Hunted is still going, church is good . . . ahem, uh, new stuff, please?

It's an issue for me as an artist, too, because as Solomon so aptly put it, "There is nothing new under the sun." I recently saw the first forty minutes of The Matrix in my theater class. The story of that wildly popular film has been touted as fresh, outside-the-box, mindblowing -- but its world-that's-not-real concept dates back to ancient Greek philosophy. Even J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, one of the most powerfully original and inventive masterpieces the English language has ever seen, uses a variety of plot points that date back for centuries.

But maybe what matters is not the originality of the content as much as how it's presented. George Lucas' Star Wars used archetypes as old as storytelling itself -- the young dreamer with high destiny (Luke Skywalker), the old man serving as mentor (Obi-Wan Kenobi), the damsel in distress (Princess Leia), the rogue adventurer (Han Solo), the ruthless villain (Darth Vader), etc. But it reframed those character types, often putting a new spin on them, in a story that came off as completely fresh and memorable.

So back to me: I seek to tell stories. Great stories, bold stories, revolutionary stories that impact the reader and point to Christ. But I've gotta be realistic. I know there's only so many ways I can portray my hero (or whatever character), and most of them have been done before, many times. But whether I use one of the old methods or try to spin up something new on my own, I'm seeking a unique portrayal, and one that's my own.

And to me, that's the key. Does the fact that my story may not be that original after all make me want to toss up my hands and just start stealing ideas? No, it really makes me want to work harder to achieve a high level of storytelling. My story won't have any revolutionary themes, but I can frame those themes in a way that no one has ever done before.

The very idea of doing that strikes a chord in me. I don't know if you writers out there feel it too, but it cuts to the heart of what I want to be as an artist. I want to tell fresh, exciting stories that bring a smile to my Creator's face and point people to Him. And I pray that the very first person who gets pointed to God through my stories will be their author.

Ultimately, the reason none of our stories will ever be really new is that God has already created all. He is the Master of all storytelling, and all of our tales are ultimately derived from his epic True Myth. What is the True Myth, you ask? Well, it's a phrase coined by Tolkien (when he was witnessing to an atheist friend named C. S. Lewis, incidentally) to describe the Gospel story of Christ. I would stretch it to include the entire story of God's redemption of man, which means that it's everything that's ever happened and ever will happen. It truly is your story and my story, in addition to being Adam's story, and Noah's story, and Peter's and Paul's and Martin Luther's and Mother Teresa's and Billy Graham's. We are all a vital part of His story.

So when we seek to tell our own made-up stories, the beautiful word that describes it is subcreation. I, the man, seek to tell my tales and craft my art, but it is ultimately derived from and subordinate to my Heavenly Father and the Story that He continues to unfold.

I love being a subcreator under You the ultimate Creator, Father. Praise You for the gift of story You have given to mankind. May we use it for Your glory.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you'll be, well, and that you already are, a great writer.
I just can't wait until the rest of the world can see what I already see.

And dearest, I'm glad you're the hero and I'm the maiden in our part of The Great Myth.

Luke Hobbs said...

Thank you, love; I know beyond doubt that whatever future God has for me as a writer would be impossible without you. I love you so much.

Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration! I've thought about the nothing new under the sun thing in the writing line a lot too. But I often just throw up my hands and say my writings will never amount to anything or do any good for anybody. I've just recently started to pick writing back up in earnest trying to write something that I won't throw rotten tomatoes at.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Warrior, you are so inspiring. Thanks for writing that. I'm like Meggy.. I try to write, then decide it will never amount to anything and give up. This really puts a new perspective on it all.

But you've gotten me a little disconcerted... was C.S. Lewis really an atheist??? I have started reading the Narnia series... I like it so far, though I have only read the first, "The Magician's Nephew" so far... but if anyone would care to, feel free to explain if the land of Narnia and everything is an allegory and if so, what it means. :D
~Emy

Anonymous said...

Emy,
Lewis WAS an athiest...until he got saved. Which, I believe, came before writing the Narnia books...as for explaining them...Me and Luke might try tomorrow at church...It might take a while.. :)
:P
~Nan

Anonymous said...

Yep, Tolkien was the main influence on Lewis' decision to follow Christ. Which, since those two are like my favorite authors ever, I think that's pretty awesome.

Emy, the Narnia tales are not allegories, but they're full of spiritual application and you'll notice a lot of biblical threads. There is a one-to-one correspondence between the Great Lion Aslan and someone from our world, and if that's not yet clear, it soon will be. How exciting to be reading the Narnia tales for the first time; I'm so happy for you! You know what beckons after that -- Middle-earth and hobbits and Quenya and only a few dwarf women.

Thanks for the encouraging comments; I'm glad this post helps some of you; it certainly helped me.

Anonymous said...

That IS really cool... but what I wanted to clear up is that he DID get saved... thanks for helping there. LOL...

Ah, okay, I see... "someone from our world"... isn't Aslan supposed to be like Jesus?
Yes, Meggy says this is my introduction to fantasy... but that doesn't mean that I will be doing LOTR after this!!! *shake head* Ya'll just can't quit talking about that can you?? :P Are the books as violent as the movies???
~Emy

Anonymous said...

Bitty, I found the books to be even more violent. ;D LOTR happened to be much more interesting, in my opinion, than Narnia. The only Narnian story that I truly like is the "Horse and His Boy". Even then I don't really like to read it but rather I prefer to listen to the cd set that we have. Right now I am in the world of Dickens. I figured b/c I am going to be in "A Christmas Carol" that I should read the original. So far it is much more enjoyable then "Oliver" which was *yuck* to put it in a lady like mannner. ;D

Sir, as to the post I should say that it is "inspiring" to keep the theme. It is nice to hear that you are encouraged to keep pressing on in the way of your literature but it as yet doesn't move me to write. Then agian maybe I shall try..... the idea of such a task is a Marley in my face. *biting lip*

Lady ;D

Anonymous said...

MORE violent?? oh my!
Dickens? awesome...
haha "marley in my face..." lol
~emy

Anonymous said...

Nay, believe not the words of this otherwise trustworthy Lady; the book describes battles but is certainly not more violent than the films. I think it mentions blood maybe a couple of times in the entire thousand-page work. Tolkien is very restrained in his depictions of battle; it would totally go against his style to give great detail about what exactly those swords were doing as they contacted flesh.

The movie's not graphic, for that matter; it's intense, it has lots of violence, to be sure; but it's never gratuitous.

But I agree with Lady in that I find LOTR far more interesting than the admittedly enchanting world of Narnia.

Curiously Normal said...

Hey, Luke..This is Brannan Sirratt, not sure if you remember me from Believers ( I married Jacob Sirratt). Anyway, I do work from home, and the job is writing/editing related. If you email me, brannan.sirratt@gmail.com (ASAP), I can tell you more. You might be interested in it. Congrats on your courtship! It will be the longest and fastest time of your life!

Anonymous said...

Ah, I see.... well I have heard the movie is rather violent and does show blood, like when someone bites someone's finger off! *ick* And I've heard it can also just be gross, with people (or whatever they are) seeing how many people (or whatever) they can kill. yuck.
~Emy

Luke Hobbs said...

Hey, Brannan, thanks for visiting and commenting! I might indeed e-mail you about your job. Thanks for the offer.

Emy, I would urge you to at least read the books before making judgments about the violence; I have faith that they won't be too much for you. You'll find that they're not about violence at all; I daresay the Bible has a lot more violence than LOTR.

Oh, wait, actually, read The Hobbit first. That one was written as a children's book, so its style and content are approximately on the same line as the Narnia books.

Anonymous said...

Okay... I was talking about what I've heard about the movies...
Read the Hobbit first... hmm.... no guarantees, but I'll think on that...
~Emy

Luke Hobbs said...

If you don't like it and don't want to keep going, I for one will not pester you about LOTR anymore.

Anonymous said...

you mean if I don't like "The Hobbit"? wow... not pester about LOTR... that may be worth reading "The Hobbit" itself... LOL... jk...
~emy

Attention!

This blog is under reconstruction (not to be confused with the Andrew Johnson administration).

Forth Eorlingas

Forth Eorlingas