Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Two Months of Me and Lana, the Couple

All righty, my sunshine princess wrote an absolutely lovely post on her blog, so if you haven't checked that out (musingsofaservantprincess.blogspot.com), go look at it first; I won't go anywhere in the meantime. The reason I say to read hers first, other than how wonderful it is, is because my post began as a comment for hers and then wouldn't stop growing.

Wow, two whole months since the courtship began, and four years and change since we met! To think you guys (Lana's family, that is) have added three future siblings-in-law for me since that first meeting. I had no idea, my dearest, that you had memorized our names in the directory; that's great! Maybe some unconscious premonition about the *different* family you would one day be a part of.

I think I gradually got to know Lana through the visits to her family's house (all of us kids swam together in their pool; that was fun) and through a Christian worldview Co-op class we took together. That was where I really became impressed with her passion for God, her obvious intelligence, and her love of reading. Some time thereabouts or afterward, my mom told me Lana wanted to start a Christian magazine for teens. Mom thought I might be interested. She's such a matchmaker! (Aw, just kidding; I know the thought had to have crossed her mind, but she wouldn't do that.) Anyways, we started trading e-mails about the mag, continued to see each other when our families were together, and gradually became really good friends.

Then college reared its beautiful head. Lana had originally planned on going to the U of A in Fayetteville (WOO PIG SOOIEE!!!) and majoring in agriculture. But ultimately she decided God was instead leading her to attend the majestic University of Arkansas-Fort Smith and major in Rhetoric and Writing. Guess who had already made his plans to do the same thing?
So yeah, taking classes together and seeing each other every day, on top of the friendship we already had, pretty much cinched that our friendship would grow a lot closer. Of course, I say that in hindsight.

But yeah, I had prayed about her for a really long time, probably since I was like fifteen. I was committed to not giving any part of my heart to her without knowing for sure that we were to marry, but I can't deny hoping that she was the one. I can't deny being basically convinced that she was the one.

I just needed that freedom born of certainty, and it came on Tuesday, February 27, when I fell in love with her and then realized that God had allowed me to, and that she truly was going to be my girl.

So I pined for six months, never hinting anything to her, waiting for the ripe moment; and then I talked to our parents, helped her dad put some candles on the pond, and declared myself on August 23.

Everything in our friendship before that night seems vague, somehow. I try to remember it and think about it, since it represents a beautiful time now that we have moved together into a more beautiful time. But I can't get inside my head, the way I thought and loved then; I think back to treasured memories and I view myself like a character in a play, detached.

And that's okay, because I wouldn't go back to the days of silence for anything. I love Lana and she loves me, and we both know it, and the world does, and that's the way it's supposed to be. And when I leave my father and mother and unite with her and we become one flesh, I know I won't want to go back to these days for anything. But I treasure them now.

So there it is, the first two months of courtship. But I will never, as long as I live, forget the first two hours. Gazing into each other's eyes across the candles, seeing something in the other that we had never seen before. Realizing, again and again, that this is it, our time as singles and just friends is over, and I really am going to enjoy the rest of my life with the most beautiful girl I've ever seen at my side. What I saw in her eyes as I told her I loved her for the first time, and what she saw in mine as she returned my love.

It was a sweet two hours, Lana, and it has been a sweet two months. I have drawn closer to you, opened up more of myself to you, fallen even more in love with you (and I didn't realize that was possible). But positionally, my relationship with you has not changed since that fateful day at the end of February, and it never will: I am truly yours.

"You have captured my heart, my sister, my bride. You have captured my heart with one glance of your eyes..." - Song of Solomon 4:9

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Memorizing ya'll's names... Well I suppose I was afraid I wouldn't catch them all (back then ya'll had more kids than us).
Co-op... I remember Luke being there, and thinking he was very intelligent, but it was actually his "Letters from the Editor" in the monthly paper their family published that really let me see how smart he was, what a good writer he was, and more amazingly and rare, how much he loved the Lord. I used to cry when I read his articles about revival...
School, wow, it's amazing how God worked that out, because I was in so much turmoil choosing my college and degree program, and I thought Agriculture was the right thing to do, even though I was terrified to go that far away. But, in the end I prayed more and looked at options, and knew it wasn't, and that RHET was.

Remembering way back then... We'll have to write it all down sometime, my love. Simply everything we can remember.
Perhaps one day you could write about what happened on Feb 27. (I wouldn't mind it. rather, I'd like it...)
This comment is getting much to long, so I'll just say that I love you, darling, and this was a truly beautiful, wonderful post, I loved it, and that's a fact. ;^P

"My lover is mine and I am his"

Emma said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..................
:P sorry, I know I'm not really either of your little sisters, but I have to tease you anyway :P lol...
~Emy

Anonymous said...

I have already told Lana this on her blog, but I wanted to tell you also. I hope that when Chris and I have kids they turn out half as wonderful as you two. See you tonight.

Dadrian

Anonymous said...

Hey Luke,
Ummm...as of this morning Blogger lets us log on on the main computer...weird stuff, man. Anyways, thought I'd let you know.
Oh yeah, and one more thing: Might not want to quote ALLLL of Song of Solomon on your blog...
Namarie,
Hannah
*smiles*

Anonymous said...

Awwww...that's great. But don't forget one very important thing mate... You haven't proposed quite officially yet, or have you? I mean, you know what she's gonna say and she know's what you're gonna say, but it just seems like that should come BEFORE you get married!:)

Anonymous said...

Meggy T,
Interesting............Really!
Anyways, need to ask Emy for some way to talk to you...I could tell you SO much about her! Good grief, she's said...*ducks from Emy while she hits me*
Anyways, yeah...
So, Luke, did you think of this??? Just curious.. :P Like an annoying little sister should be... :P
~Nan

Emma said...

But...but..but... *I* wanna be an annoying little sister!!!!!!! :P lol...
Hannah honey.... I don't care *what* you tell Meg about me so long as it's true.... but... NOT OVER THE INTERNET!!!!!!! :P And anyway, I don't know any way to talk to her more than you do!! Actually I do prolly have that one phone # somewhere... who knows! And I don't know what phone it was but... oh, sorry Warrior, this *IS* your blog, isn't it??? :P sry... :P lol... I guess I'm *acting* like an annoying little sister aren't I? :P lol... fun! :P
okay I'll quit now...
~Emy

Luke Hobbs said...

I'm not really sure what you're referring to, my sister. Then again, I'm rarely sure of what some of you younger ladies are referring to when you comment on my blog.

Very true, Meggy, no official proposal in terms of a ring and all that jazz. Not yet. But I have asked her to marry me, like, multiple times since that night. Gracious, I think she's asked me once or twice. Pretty aggressive gal, don't you think? (I decided to be a good sport and say that yes, I will marry her.)

Luke Hobbs said...

Since you said that, Meggy, that gives me the idea of waiting to propose until after her father has walked her down the aisle. Just because I'm a stupid idiot. But no, I'm kidding, I could never stand to wait that long to make my official proposal. Plus, getting TWO rings plus a kiss in one day, that might just be too much for my darling.

Unknown said...

Darlingest, I don't imagine we'll send out the wedding invitations until an official proposal. And if we never sent out invitations, our friend Alisha (she's my friend from school, ya'll) would probably die or do something drastic like that, and then wouldn't I be sad.
Besides which, like you said, two rings and kiss[es] all in the space of an hour or so would probably just about give me a heart attack...

But really, my love, "aggressive"?
That's a violent word... But, at least you said "yes" (but what could you say after asking me fifty times yourself?)

Attention!

This blog is under reconstruction (not to be confused with the Andrew Johnson administration).

Forth Eorlingas

Forth Eorlingas