Friday, October 26, 2007

Random thoughts

Random thoughts before I retire (to bed):

Just got done reading a play by Chekhov for Theater class. I'm sure it was deeply moving. Awesomely beautiful. Splendiferously phantasmagoric. I'm glad it's over.

I hate not being able to spend very much time with my family, with my job and school and everything. I love Lana and I want to marry her and live with her more than anything, but the idea of leaving my family makes me want to cry.

I believe; help me with my unbelief.

"It is a curse having the epic temperament in an overcrowded age devoted to snappy bits!" - J. R. R. Tolkien

Romance is like a very special Christmas present from your Father, who gives the best gifts in the whole world. You've waited for it for so long, dreamed about it. Finally, one day, you see it wrapped and sitting under the tree. But you can't open it yet, not for a long time, and you know that shaking it could spoil the surprise that awaits. One day, after staring at it dreamily for a long time, you break down and open it in secret, just for a second, to see what it is. Then you close it up again. As December rolls onward, you do this over and over again. It's pretty fun, very exciting; you talk yourself into believing there was never anything wrong with opening it early. But when Christmas morning rolls around and you get to open and enjoy the whole thing, something curious happens, or rather, has happened. It's, well, not everything you'd hoped. It's exciting, sure, but it's nothing like what you'd dreamed. And you're left to wonder what it would have been like if you'd left the box alone until the appointed time.

Life is a complicated haze of preemptive indigestion.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to just give it up and quit the stupid school thing.

You guys have no idea how awesome it is to get to lead a group of young people in worship once a week.

I have a watch. It's really nice. All the guys in my youth group envy it, although only Aaron is willing to admit it.

Some Christians say that even if we were wrong in what we believe and there was no God and death was the very end, we would still be on the right side because Christians live the happiest lives. I say, balderdash. The Apostle Paul said, if our belief in a resurrection is false, "we are to be pitied above all men." If Jesus did not rise from the dead, there is no hope, all is vanity, period.

"Oh God, bless us. Yea, even curse us. But please be not silent!"

The term "Jesus Freak" used to be a way of insulting Christians. Then a little band called dc Talk turned it around and made it cool. But do you claim it, and if so, do you live up to the title?

There ain't no disguising the truth...Truth can be suppressed, but it cannot be silenced. We get down on Pilate, but he asked the right question; he just didn't wait around for the answer. "What is Truth?"

What will you do for Christ? What will you NOT do for Him?

10 comments:

Emma said...

wow those were certainly some *random* thoughts, lol... but anyway all very good thoughts and I really liked the analogy about the Christmas gift...
~Emy

Anonymous said...

About the proposal thing, very sensible. Very good. Lana? Aggressive? Hahahahahaha!:P
Now you're writing like me! Sort of a:
"Go to the store and brush your teeth,
Jump in the pool with a Christmas wreath,
Blink your eyes, custard pies, pasturize, Dragon flies," writing style!!:P
I can't wait till Christmas!!! Sometimes I wish Thanksgiving would hurry up and be over so Christmas has a clear path!

Unknown said...

Dear me. Much was said during those days I was too busy to comment...
Agressive? Lana the agressive?
Well, thanks to Meggy T at least, for sticking up for me!

:^P
I love you, Luke.

Emma said...

Lana the agressive?? I'm confused.. did I miss something? Oh well... doesn't have anything to do with me anyway but I'm nosy but oh well... LOL
~emy

Unknown said...

Haha, Emy the nosy...
Just kidding, Emma!
You probably did miss something...
Look at the comment section of the previous post, Meggy was carrying on the conversation from there.

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Okay, Luke, you leaving our family makes me cry too...But, in reality, you're not leaving. You're just branching out and off.....okay, anyways, gotta stop crying now.
As for leading worship....you have no idea how awesome it is to get to worship with the aforementioned group of young people...and have your brothers leading it. Wow.
About the watch...I'm not sure ALL of them do...Aaron admitted it???
About the if what we believe is wrong or not....good thoughts...
This is the kind of stuff I feel like posting sometimes...excpet it wouldn't be quite that...um, easy to understand???
love ya bro,
Hannah

Anonymous said...

I guess it's sorta like when I was really sad that my grandparents divorced, then they remarried and I got two new, awesome family members! Things are still painful sometimes, but I gained for the loss

Emma said...

Hey Luke,
I was just going to say, I saw that you'd added vids to the Hobbbottom youtube site... *VERY* interesting.... :P But hey, Grim has a *great* spirit of Christmas future costume!!! :P
Oh and is that other one from church camp two years ago?
~Emy

Anonymous said...

Super Grim is absolutley hilarious. What editing programs to yall use?

Luke Hobbs said...

We use Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition, which sounds extremely tacky and is actually pretty good, considering the price.

Glad you like Super Grim; to me one of the funniest aspects of it is the fact that the Grim Reaper has a brother named Dennis. That's a scream. Of course, the fact that they have a mom is pretty rockin' too.

And yes, Emy, Electric Avenue is from church camp two years ago. The description mentions that, I do believe.

Attention!

This blog is under reconstruction (not to be confused with the Andrew Johnson administration).

Forth Eorlingas

Forth Eorlingas